- The TREC 2003 Conference will be held in the Green
Auditorium of the Administration Building (101), at NIST in Gaithersburg, Maryland.
- Check-in will begin at 12 noon, on Tuesday, November 18,
outside of the Green Auditorium for the TREC 2003 Conference.
Signs will direct you to the area once you are in the Administration
Building. The registration fee of $255 includes: Conference notebook,
conference proceedings, coffee breaks, three lunches, and a barbecue dinner.
We will be offering the choice of a hard-copy and/or a CD version of the
conference notebook this year. The conference registration form must be received by
November 3, 2003. All requests for cancellation and refund must be submitted to
Teresa Vicente, in writing, prior to November 3, 2003.
This year, the TREC
2003 Conference will be preceded by the TRECVID Workshop,
- Due to increased security, no on-site registrations will be accepted and all
attendees must be pre-registered. Photo identification must be presented
at check-in and at the main gate if you are driving to NIST. Attendees must wear
their conference badge at all times while on the campus.
- Registration questions: Teresa Vicente, NIST, 100 Bureau Dr., Stop 3461,
Gaithersburg, MD 20899-3461, phone: 301/975-3883, fax: 301/948-2067,
Teresa Vicente (firstname.lastname@example.org)
- TREC questions: Lori Buckland (email@example.com)
- The telephone number for contact with the meeting is 301/975-2997 or 2998. Attendees
will not be called out of the meeting to receive telephone calls,
except in emergencies. Public phones are located outside the Green Auditorium.
- A block of rooms has been reserved at the
Gaithersburg Holiday Inn,
telephone: 301/948-8900, at a special rate of $90, single or double, plus 12% tax.
To register for rooms, please call the hotel directly, by November 1,
2003, and mention that you are attending the "NIST TREC 2003 Conference."
Reservations must be canceled by 4 p.m. on the arrival date in order to
receive a refund.
- Roundtrip transportation will be provided between the hotel and NIST each day in the
morning and evening. Attendees are encouraged to use this service, as parking at NIST
may be limited.
- Coffee Breaks and Lunches
- Refreshments will be available at coffee breaks. Lunch will be provided
for attendees on Wednesday, November 19 through Friday, November 21.
- Barbecue Dinner
- A barbecue dinner, preceeded by a cash-bar, will be held at Smokey Glen Farm,
16407 Riffleford Road, Gaithersburg, on Wednesday, November 19, beginning at 6 p.m. Transportation
will be provided from the Gaithersburg Holiday Inn to Smokey Glen Farm,
then back to the hotel at the conclusion of the barbecue. Dress casually.
- Super Shuttle, 1-800-258-3826 offers
commercial van service from Dulles International, Ronald Reagan Washington
National, and Baltimore-Washington International Airports to the Gaithersburg area.
Call for reservations.
- The Washington Metro has subway service to Gaithersburg. The metro can be boarded
at Ronald Reagan Washington National Airport. Take a Yellow Line train marked
"Mount Vernon Square" to Gallery Place and transfer to a Red Line train marked "Shady
Grove" to the Shady Grove station. Service is every 6 to 15 minutes, depending on the
time of day. Travel time from National to Shady Grove is about 50 minutes. Taxis are
available from the Shady Grove Metro station to the hotel.
- A NIST shuttle van operates for official visitors from the Shady Grove metro station to
NIST. The van leaves the Shady Grove station on the quarter and three-quarter hour
(e.g. 8:15, 8:45,. . .4:45, 5:15) from the east side parking lot.
- For other information about NIST and the Gaithersburg area, please see:
NIST Visitor Information.
- To reach NIST:
- From northbound I-270: take Exit 10, Rt. 117 West, Clopper Road. At the first light on
Clopper Road, turn left onto the NIST grounds.
- From southbound I-270: take Exit 11, Rt. 124, Montgomery Village Avenue/Quince
Orchard Road. Bear to the right off the exit ramp. At the second light turn left onto
Clopper Road. At the next light, turn right onto the NIST grounds.
- To reach Gaithersburg Holiday Inn:
- From northbound I-270: take Exit 11, Route 124 East, Montgomery Village Avenue. At
the second traffic light turn left onto Rt. 355/Frederick Avenue. The hotel will be on
- From southbound I-270: take Exit 11, Route 124 East, Montgomery Village Avenue.
Turn left at the first traffic light. At the third light, turn left onto Rt. 355/N. Frederick
Avenue. The hotel will be on your right.