- The TRECVID Workshop will be held in Lecture Room A of the
Administration Building (101), at NIST in Gaithersburg, Maryland.
- Check-in will begin at 8 a.m. on Monday, November 17, outside of Lecture Room A
for the TRECVID Workshop. Signs will direct you to the area once you are in the Administration
The registration fee of $145 includes workshop materials, light breakfast, coffee breaks,
two lunches, and a reception on Monday evening. The registration form must be received by
November 3, 2003. All requests for cancellation and refund must be submitted to
Teresa Vicente, in writing, prior to November 3, 2003.
- The TRECVID Workshop will be followed by the TREC
2003 Conference, November 18-21.
- Due to increased security, no on-site registrations will be accepted and all
attendees must be pre-registered. Photo identification must be presented
at check-in and at the main gate if you are driving to NIST. Attendees must wear
their conference badge at all times while on the campus.
- Registration questions: Teresa Vicente, NIST, 100 Bureau Dr., Stop 3461,
Gaithersburg, MD 20899-3461, phone: 301/975-3883, fax: 301/948-2067,
Teresa Vicente (email@example.com)
- TRECVID questions: Lori Buckland (firstname.lastname@example.org)
- Copyright Forms needed (.pdf)
- NIST requires that any group that will give a talk, a poster, or
whose paper will appear in the proceedings sign a copyright release
form. Print out the copyright form, clearly write "TRECVID" at the top
of the form, fill it in, sign it, and fax it back to Lori Buckland,
(301) 975-5287 by Wednesday, November 12, 2003.
- The senior author at each institution can sign for other authors, but
if your group consists of multiple institutions, we need a signature
from each institution. If your legal department needs to review the
form, please start that process early.
- Use of Personal Computers
Workshop attendees may connect personal machines to the NIST network,
provided a number of conditions are met. The conditions are spelled
out in a form that users must sign before access is granted. This form
will be available at the workshop registration desk. The form will
require the user of a non-NIST machine that wishes to connect
the machine to the NIST network to certify that:
Once you sign the form, you will take it to the Employees' Lounge
where Darrin Dimmick will give you an IP address that you may use
for the duration of your time at NIST. You may not share your IP address
with others, and you will be held responsible for the actions of those
who use your IP address if you choose to ignore this prohibition.
- the machine has antivirus software installed and the signatures
were updated within the past week;
- all security-relevant patches have been installed within the
- music file sharing software has been turned off and will not
be activated while the computer is attached to the NIST network
Users must also agree to "avoid any activities that might cause
harm to NIST's reputation, especially those of an unethical of illegal
nature" and to connect only to networks specially marked as being
for visitors (i.e., only in the employee's lounge). Finally, users must
acknowledge that they understand that NIST networks are government-owned,
and thus they have no right of privacy: authorized personnel may
monitor all communications for the purposes of network maintenance
For your information, the special visitor's network will not route
packets to the rest of NIST's internal networks, but is behind
NIST's firewall. This means that if you need to send somthing back
to NIST during your demo (such as an X-window, for example), you will
need additional authentication to get through the firewall. We can
provide that---this is no different from previous years---but it
does still have to be done. The connections in the Employee's lounge
have been upgraded to 100-megabit connections (they were 10-megabit
connections in previous years). A limited amount of connections
will be available.
- The telephone number for contact with workshop attendees will be available at the registration desk. Attendees
will not be called out of the meeting to receive telephone calls,
except in emergencies. Public phones are located outside the Green Auditorium.
- A block of rooms has been reserved at the
Gaithersburg Holiday Inn,
telephone: 301/948-8900, at a special rate of $90, single or double, plus 12% tax.
To register for rooms, please call the hotel directly, by November 1,
2003, and mention that you are attending the "NIST TRECVID Workshop."
Reservations must be canceled by 4 p.m. on the arrival date in order to
receive a refund.
- Roundtrip transportation will be provided between the hotel and NIST each day in the
morning and evening. Attendees are encouraged to use this service, as parking at NIST
may be limited.
- Coffee Breaks and Lunches
- Refreshments will be available at coffee breaks. Lunch will be provided
for attendees on Monday, November 17, and Tuesday, November 18. After making your selection
in the NIST Cafeteria, please give the cashier a lunch ticket, found in your badge holder.
- Workshop Reception
- On Monday evening, November 17, a cash-bar reception will be held at the Gaithersburg
Holiday Inn, beginning at 6 p.m. You will have a reception ticket in your badge holder, tickets
will be collected at the door.
- Super Shuttle, 1-800-258-3826 offers
commercial van service from Dulles International, Ronald Reagan Washington
National, and Baltimore-Washington International Airports to the Gaithersburg area.
Call for reservations.
- The Washington Metro has subway service to Gaithersburg. The metro can be boarded
at Ronald Reagan Washington National Airport. Take a Yellow Line train marked
"Mount Vernon Square" to Gallery Place and transfer to a Red Line train marked "Shady
Grove" to the Shady Grove station. Service is every 6 to 15 minutes, depending on the
time of day. Travel time from National to Shady Grove is about 50 minutes. Taxis are
available from the Shady Grove Metro station to the hotel.
- A NIST shuttle van operates for official visitors from the Shady Grove metro station to
NIST. The van leaves the Shady Grove station on the quarter and three-quarter hour
(e.g. 8:15, 8:45,. . .4:45, 5:15) from the east side parking lot.
- For other information about NIST and the Gaithersburg area, please see:
NIST Visitor Information.
- To reach NIST:
- From northbound I-270: take Exit 10, Rt. 117 West, Clopper Road. At the first light on
Clopper Road, turn left onto the NIST grounds.
- From southbound I-270: take Exit 11, Rt. 124, Montgomery Village Avenue/Quince
Orchard Road. Bear to the right off the exit ramp. At the second light turn left onto
Clopper Road. At the next light, turn right onto the NIST grounds.
- To reach Gaithersburg Holiday Inn:
- From northbound I-270: take Exit 11, Route 124 East, Montgomery Village Avenue. At
the second traffic light turn left onto Rt. 355/Frederick Avenue. The hotel will be on
- From southbound I-270: take Exit 11, Route 124 East, Montgomery Village Avenue.
Turn left at the first traffic light. At the third light, turn left onto Rt. 355/N. Frederick
Avenue. The hotel will be on your right.