[tv13.list] Instance search topics

Paul Over over at nist.gov
Tue Jun 18 13:53:43 EDT 2013

Hi,

This message is for participants in the instance search task ...

The instance search test topics will be available from the active
participant's part of the website, as scheduled, on Monday.

We've applied a new convention to the short piece of text associated
with each topic.

INS has always had an inconsistent definition of instance.  In most
test topics, (1) we are looking for instances/views of a singular
specific object/person.  But a second sort of topic has focused on (2)
instances of any member of a set of objects, all created to be mutually
indistinguishable, e.g., logos.

In order to try to make clearer which interpretation to apply, we've
revised the topic text using "this/these" for case (1) and "a/an"
for case (2). Objects/locations/people known by their proper names
are referred to with just some form of their name. For example:

  this fountain
  these stairs
  Angela Merkel
  a Ford Mustang logo

Of course it is the example images that are decisive.

We hope this makes each topic's intent clearer for software and
any human searcher.

- Paul
--
Paul Over